[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 16:05:24 UTC 2004

On Fri 17 Sep, John Hearns wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:03, Jack Bertram wrote:
>

> > Anyway, there's nothing to stop you installing the CD image to the hard
> > disk (where it will take up 700MB of space, leaving room for swap etc) and
> > running it from there just as from the original CD.  This would be faster
> > than running it from the CD.
> >
> Is this an option in Knoppix?
> I can see how you would mount the ISO image as a loopback,
> but how would you get the thing to boot in the first place?
> I guess there will be some Syslinux magic.

   Look at the options before the normal boot from CD, even including
Memtest. There is also a reference from F2/F3 to cheatcodes.

   The Debian Woody installer is not easy to use unless you really know what
you are doing or are prepared to spend a lot of time struggling. Try the new
installer, there are a few bugs remaining but it can almost do a hands-off
installation on its own now, or you can select expert mode for more control.
Index of /pub/cdimage-testing/daily:

http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/

   I have tried downloading the Gnoppix ISO from 2 sites this week, but both
failed with a series of errors. Will look again soon.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk