[Gllug] Ubuntu (was: Re: Help !!!!)

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 09:23:48 UTC 2004

On Thu 30 Sep, Huw Lynes wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:53:04 +0100
> "Martin A. Brooks" <martin at clues.ltd.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 08:47, NorthLondon John wrote:
> >

> > I've mentioned before that I run production boxes on unstable, so I have
> > all the bleeding edge I need, anyway. :)
> >
> As a long-time RedHat admin I've never understood the situation with
> testing/unstable and security updates. When perusing the debian.org site I get
> put off by the big warning that says No Security Updates for Testing/Unstable.
>
> So how does running production servers on unstable work with respect to that?

   Security updates are made available through a separate dedicated
facility, so there is less need to check through huge lists of updates and
changes. There is a dedicated security team, with more effort put into
checking dependancies and ensuring a smooth update for Debian stable
(currently Woody), so that you can normally do an automatic update of
packages without any ill effcts. The most you may have to do is move an old
package and reboot if there is something like a major kernel change, but
normally the functionality is unchanged. If you need a system that just
carries on working with the minimum of problems then you can opt for the
stable version.
   The testing software versions can be updated only a few days after a
major re-write, and bug fixes can be delayed by the same amount of time in
quarantine (unstable, Sid). Functionality is much more likely to change,
with different dependancies and configuration settings, and huge lists of
changes which may not be just for security reasons. If you are happy to
nurse the system along while you play with the latest and (hopefully)
greatest software available then try testing (Sarge) or unstable (Sid) and
send in any bug reports and/or fixes.
   If you would like to help, the new installer development team are now
desperate to get as many testers as possible using the most varied hardware
possible and the latest daily installer builds.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk