[Gllug] Interrupt from power button?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Sep 19 07:59:26 UTC 2004

One of the favourite ways to recover an XP workstation which has locked
up is to hit the power button.  This seems to send some sort of signal
to the OS causing it to shut down in an orderly fashion.

Is it possible to detect the same signal in Linux?  I'm thinking of
setting up a small headless print server (using a spare Mini-ITX box)
for very occasional use.  It would be nice if users could just hit the
power button to turn it on and then press the same button to switch it
off when they've finished.  Is there an entry I can make in /etc/inittab
to have init detect this?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk