[Gllug] Resolving host names from a dhcp server

N.Pauli npauli at st-johns.org.uk
Fri Sep 24 08:57:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep, farnsaw at stonedoor.com wrote:
> [...]

Andrew,

You're perfectly correct. The 'something here that I am missing' was a
confusion of dhcp with dns. Linuxbox is not a server so dhcp is ok for it.
As suggested I did "ipconfig /all" on a windows client and found that it's
using 10.0.0.3 for its dhcp and dns server. linuxbox's /etc/resolv.conf
lists 10.0.0.3 as its first nameserver with 127.0.0.1 as the second - and
yet no joy.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction here.

Nigel

--
Nigel Pauli
Network Manager