[Gllug] Viable back-up solutions for gigabytes?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Sep 5 08:05:44 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 07:38:02PM +0100, Bernard Peek wrote:
> I need to know a bit more before I could recommend a solution.
>
> How fast does your data change? How fast are you adding new data? Are
> there any big files that get modified often?

It'd be nice to take a backup once a week or once a fortnight, but the
data doesn't change often.  Generally I just add more photos to the
collection.

> How compressible is the data?

Not much.  JPEGs don't compress.  There is less mail, but that could
compress quite well.

I'm a bit concerned about storing data in a compressed format, ever
since I backed up my minix partition onto floppies (circa '90) and one
sector on floppy #4 died, resulting in a completely unrecoverable
backup.

> If most of that 10Gb is static data then an incremental backup looks to
> be the best option. Take a snapshot of the static data like pictures
> then take regular backups of dynamic data like mail.
>
> Writeable DVD looks to be the right medium. It's simple and cheap and if
> the place burns down it won't take long to get compatible hardware to
> read the data back again. One disk can hold 8Gb of data and if your
> daily dynamic data is less than that you can leave a machine to do an
> unattended backup overnight.

Interesting.  Is that 8GB of real storage or compressed?

Rich.

http://www.winwinsales.co.uk/ - CRM improvement consultancy