[Gllug] re: grammar

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Sep 3 11:48:14 UTC 2004

On Friday 03 Sep 2004 12:30 pm, Ian Scott wrote:
> >  The /-'s/ is only ever acceptable as the posessive marker.
>
> Except in it's, where is it NEVER acceptable as the posessive marker!

Except that here it isn't /-'s/, which is very specifically the
morphological suffix for posession (and to be pedantic, NOT genitive.)
Neither "it's" nor "its" have a suffix of any kind. "It's" is a
contraction of two words, and "its" is a 'synthetic' form which happens
to end in an /s/.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"