[Gllug] HIGHMEM

Luke Hopkins streaklug at streaknet.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 12:17:52 UTC 2004

Hi All, slight issue with Slackware 10.
I'm running a fairly intensive database app on a Dell 1750 with 2Gb of
Ram. My problem is that Slackware 10 will only see ~1Gb of the Ram.

'dmesg' informs me:
Warning only 896MB will be used.
Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
896MB LOWMEM available.

A little later it reports:
Memory: 904016k/917504k available (2097l kernel code, 13104k reserved,
699k data,124k init, 0k highmem)

The above are the meesages I receive after recompiling the kernel with <
4Gb HIGMEM support, and I/O Highmem support.

So, it looks as though recompiling the kernel with the support has made
no difference. Any thoughts why this would be?
I have no swap partition (wanted to do some benchmarking with physical
memory only). Does HIGHMEM require swap space to use as addressing?

Thanks
Luke

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk