[Gllug] CSIS Table on Global Open Source Policies

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Sun Sep 12 18:51:45 UTC 2004

Thought people could find this of interest, off the Politech mailist:

Subject: CSIS Table on Global Open Source Policies
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:36:00 -0400
From: Jason Keiber <JKeiber at csis.org>
To: <declan at well.com>

Declan,

I work at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in
DC, and just put together a rather large chart providing information on
the number and type of Open Source (OS) software policies and
legislation considered by national, regional or local governments around
the world. It looks at whether the policy or legislation mandated the
use of OS, expressed a preference for OS software, encouraged its use or
commissioned research into OS software. We have not included purchasing
decisions (i.e. a government decided to buy OS products). While a
purchase of OS software could indicate a policy decision that has not
been publicly articulated, it could also be simply a decision made on
the basis of price or product.

Anyhow, I think the readers of Politech would find it interesting. It is
a work in progress, and I welcome any feedback to: jkeiber at csis.org .

http://www.csis.org/tech/OpenSource/0408_ospolicies.pdf

Thanks,

Jason Keiber
Research Assistant
Technology and Public Policy Program
Center for Strategic and International Studies

P:  202.775.3280
F:  202.775.3199
jkeiber at csis.org

----- End forwarded message -----