[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Pip gl.lug at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 21 19:51:07 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 21 Sep 2004 20:32, Steve Nelson wrote:

> Agreed.  Out of interest, have you actually built many servers from
> scratch for production use?  What do you use as your build
> environment? I'm imagining you installing linux on a partition, then
> using that to build your minimal install on another partition, then
> blowing away the first linux install... Or do you use something like
> knoppix?  I'm curious.

I've generally been brought in when a system is already in place, and it's
been on Unix environments. It was quite distressing to walk into the server
room and see that the server had a monitor perched on top of it and was
running a GUI interface. Absolutely pointless. It was great to keep the X
software in place, to access it through an ssh tunnel on a different machine,
but it was ridiculous to have it permanently running.
When building new, fail-over boxes, I kept the installation fairly minimal,
but can't remember the exact details. Sorry about that. I checked up with
what a "minimal installation" was at the time, and added the extra bits I
needed.
Linux I got into through some IBM server farm installations, again taking over
the project after it was already running. Now I've got it as my home system -
Fedora 2, if you need to know. That definitely isn't a minimal installation.

Pip
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk