[Gllug] Interrupt from power button?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Sep 19 19:45:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 08:59:26AM +0100, John wrote:
> One of the favourite ways to recover an XP workstation which has locked
> up is to hit the power button.  This seems to send some sort of signal
> to the OS causing it to shut down in an orderly fashion.
>
> Is it possible to detect the same signal in Linux?

If the BIOS supports APM, then the powerswitch module will do this for
you.  I have a copy of the most recent source tarball here:

http://workshy.com/download/powerswitch-1.5.tar.gz

If the BIOS does ACPI but not APM, then you're out of luck afaik.  The
powerswitch module could probably be adapted to work with ACPI, though.
The code isn't maintained atm because the author objects to the
licensing politics of Linux Kernel Modules.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.