[Gllug] SUSE 9.1 vs Fedora Core 2

Pip gl.lug at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 22 16:53:15 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 Sep 2004 10:59, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> Very much doubt the shorter interval, after all, you'd still have to
> download the stuff to install or download the patches to compile.

True, but download and install _less_ patches: the thing being outlined was
reducing files and processes to the minimum, so there'd be less to deal with.

> SuSE and Fedora can automatically grab all relevant-to-your-install security
> updated RPMs for you to install later at your whim, or, if you're feeling
> brave, you can let it install them automatically too.

True again. But the updates are out there, you just have to get them.

> No cobbled together scripts required, suse and fedora cobbled them together
> for you.

Absolutely. For their own distributions, which expect other things to be in
place. Build it from scratch, and you make all the decisions.

> > Sorry, was that a trick question?
>
> Obviously one you fell headfirst into.

Really? I'm more used to pratfalls than cranial plunging.

Pip
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk