[Gllug] OT: What can take out a switch *and* an ethernet card?

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Sep 30 23:20:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:40:27PM +0100, Ian Northeast wrote:
> So it appears that something took the switch *and* my ethernet card out
> at the same time. But nothing else. I didn't think it was possible for
> ethernet devices to take each other out. It's all low voltage isn't it?
>
> Can anyone explain this? Also, can anyone recommend the best place
> nowadays to get another 16 port 10/100 (I have a number of 10Mb devices
> which matter, like my firewall and my printer) switch?

My instinct is that the card took out the switch,

maybe the switch had some buggy firmware and couldnt deal with the mess your
broken card was sending out, try the switch in a day or two when its dried out
:-) (sounds wierd but ive had similar with cheap switches)

Ian
--
/* www.darkspace.org.uk {
 web development, application development, consultancy, firewalls
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk