[Gllug] Re: H for Harry ...

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Sep 13 21:15:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 14:07, t.clarke wrote:
> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> >Even then it'd be silent surely?
> >'aitch for 'arry.
>

> For some reason, generally no.  Estuary English speakers will most often
> pronounce the letter on its own as 'Haitch',  but drop it when at the beginning
> of a word (such as Harry  --> 'arry).  I admit this is a generalisation, but it
> seems to hold pretty true from observation.
>
> Tim

I would agree here, I leave around the Estuary, and since the age of
about 5 it has really got my goat, I dont know why so much, but it has.
I pronounce the letter 'aieche' and say 'Harry/arry' with about a 85/15%
split.

Tim, what mail client do you use? you seem to spawn little threadletts
about whenever you reply.

Ian