[Gllug] Power Supply loaner in West London?

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Sep 23 17:00:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 04:59:41PM +0100, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I'm having some weird hardware lockups on my system.  It's not a
> CPU temperature problem -- it locks up in BIOS with the BIOS open
> showing low (sub-30C) temperatures.  It's probably not RAM since it
> locks up just sitting there in BIOS not doing anything.
>
> My suspicion is that it's the power supply's voltages fluctuating.  BIOS
> shows the voltages going up and down a reasonable amount, which I don't
> remember seeing before.
>
> Soooo...  To diagnose this, I need to borrow a known-good ATX power
> supply to rule the PSU in or out as the source of the problem.  Is
> anyone in West London (W14 Barons Court area) willing to lend me an ATX
> power supply with >300W output or so?  Will only need it for one
> evening.

I may be able to - I will see what I have got.

Do you need a P4-ready one or will just a plain ATX do?

I am a bit out of your area but there is nothing to stop me bringing you
a PSU.

One point to check - I have noticed this on P3 and P4 boards - are all
the electrolytic capacitors looking normal or is there any kind of
swelling, corrosion or leakage? I have had three boards go down within
the last 18 months with this definite problem.

I will check my spares tonight.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk