[Gllug] HIGHMEM

Luke Hopkins streaklug at streaknet.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 08:15:31 UTC 2004

Following on from this:
It would appear that I wasn't in fact booting the correct kernel (I
know, I know). However that has led me to a new problem.
Based on the standard raid.s kernel, I have made the single change of
selecting the correct processor (instead of generic 486). A compile
later, and I get a kernel panic (unable to mount root FS).
Much googling has some suggestions, but no solutions.

What I'm thinking is that the recompiled kernel isn't finding something,
either a scsi device, raid device or ext3 fs. Unfortunately I can't
scroll the console back far enough to get an answer on this.

I've made sure I'm booting the right kernel (:-), with the right map
etc, but to no avail.
As far as I can tell pretty much everything is enabled in the kernel,
all the scsi stuff is turned on, all the raid stuff, ext3 is enabled
etc.

The order I did things (actually have tried many variations, all same
result):
Make clean,menuconfig,dep,bzImage,module,modules_install,install
Edited lilo to reflect correct new kernel, and rebooted.
I've never had this problem on IDE systems, new kernel builds are always
fine, so this leads me to suspect the scsi system somewhere.

Currently at a bit of a loss to be honest :-(

Cheers
Luke