[Gllug] Interrupt from power button?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Sep 19 08:40:38 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 09:31, Chris Bell wrote:
>    There are some minimal systems such as routers which will boot from a
> floppy, so would it be possible to put enough on a protected floppy to run
> an old box as a simple print server, perhaps with an ancient hard drive to
> provide some swap space? The power switch could then be used as designed.

Not quite - you'd have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds or so
to force the box to switch off if the kernel doesn't react to the
initial press.

I'm not worried about data corruption - the box will probably be
diskless anyway, and booting over the LAN.  I just want it to react and
shut down when the power button is pressed.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk