[Gllug] OT: Bug tracking software

Amit Muthu amuthu at venda.com
Wed Sep 22 17:08:15 UTC 2004

Dave Cross wrote:

>I second the recommendation for RT.

We use RT too, having migrated from bugzilla, and find it more than
adequate for our needs.

It works pretty well, except...

1. it is very difficult to define custom statuses for tickets - I had to
do some fairly ugly hacks to create a status representing "waiting for
extra input from the requestor"

2. it can get bogged down if trying to display a large number of tickets
e.g. search results on a single page

We are using it with a postgres backend and complaint 2 has gone away
since we threw some beefy hardware at it...

Obviously the system sinks or swims on the business process surrounding
the ticketing/tracking system. It has to be extremely clear who manages
each RT queue, and how you intend to make sure that the queue does not
fill up with stalled or unread tickets.

Cheers,
Amit
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk