[Gllug] MS patents tabbed browsing ...

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Sep 3 21:25:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 09:44:30PM +0100, Rob Crowther wrote:
> It seems oddly specific in places - 6.e it states that the indication
> around the hyperlink is non-rectangular.  It also goes on about a
> graphical interface, both of these would rule out Lynx as prior art I think?

Forget about prior art.  "Obviousness" is the key here.

Look at Windows 3.1 (as an example).  On almost all applications you
would use the tab key to move focus between fields.  This is really no
different from using the tab key to move between hyperlinks in a
graphical browser.

If you were making a graphical browser accessible by someone who
couldn't use a mouse, how else would you do it?

Rich.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/