[Gllug] Resolving host names from a dhcp server

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Sat Sep 25 00:13:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:03:06PM +0100, N.Pauli wrote:
> Dear All,
> Is their something here I am missing?

(after reading the other messages)

DNS these days has a mechanism called 'dynamic update' which allows
authorised principals (usually machines or services) to add, delete and
modify DNS records on a remote DNS server. Most DHCP servers can use
this facility to add appropriate DNS records for machines (forward and
reverse) when they are allocated a DHCP lease, and remove these records
when the lease expires.

Since you say you're on Win2k3, and I know for a fact that Win2k's DHCP
and DNS servers collaberate in just such a way (in fact, at a guess,
it's the client machines which are entrusted to update the DNS - quite a
scary prospect), then it should Just Work(tm)!

But... since it's Windows, you're limited in the debugging you can do
(but, unfortunately, there are usually just about sufficient debugging
tools available to work out what's wrong, and therefore avoiding a
desirable migration to sane systems)

Incidentally, I hear it's perfectly possible to slave a Win2k domain's
DNS information to a BIND server, then switch roles, so that the Windows
boxen are slaves to the BIND server, and the clients send their dynamic
updates to BIND. Common sense would say you should be be able to remove
the MS DNS servers from the equation completely, but no doubt this is
just a pipedream... (which, incidentally was a spreadsheet for RISC OS
:)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk