[Gllug] re: DVD Drives (writers)

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 09:29:38 UTC 2004

Out of interest, I have recently acquired a NEC2510A, which seems to work
well on 4x discs.  It supports the dual-layer format, although I havn't used
any yet as the are still extortionately expensive.

ATHe 'herrie' website also provides a nice firmware patch, which I have
applied, which removes amongst other things the 'riplock' feature of the
drive, allowing one to read video-dvd's at max speed instead of the 2x they
are otherwise limited to.  Handy, if you want to archive copies of your
favourite films.  (Unfornately, as far as I can see, you need to use Windoze
to do this, as no linux equivalent of Clone-DVD seems to exist - anyone
know better?).

Tim

This E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk