[Gllug] Knoppix and similar

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Thu Sep 16 21:16:48 UTC 2004

Andrew Black (li) wrote:
> Hi
> I have an old version of Knoppix and was wondering if this is the way to go,

Knoppix is the best general purpose Live CD distro I've played with, you
might want to download the latest version (or get it off a magazine
cover CD).  Another one I like is Slax - http://www.slax.org - based on
Slackware, smaller download than Knoppix.  If you're going to be booting
from the CD for a while then you should see if you can make room on your
HDD for a swap partition you'll find everything goes *much* faster.

> One specifc question - how easy is to share a printer (parallel port and USB
> connected to this machine) using SMB protocol.   Do I have to run and
> configure SAMBA to do this.

Certainly with Knoppix this was very easy to do, just went into ntsysv
and started the smb service.  Can't recall exact details for Slax but I
imagine it's fairly similar.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk