[Gllug] make xconfig

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 17:16:02 UTC 2004

Am in trouble again! Tried to get assistance from Debian Users who
are normally so reliably knowledgeable - but, this time no joy.

So, I wonder if anyone at gllug can help me. The question I asked was:-

I'm trying to compile a 2.6.8 kernel in Unstable. Normally, I use 'make
menuconfig', but for a change decided to use 'make xconfig' and
installed 'libqt3-dev'.
All the other software packages said to be required for the 2.6.x kernels
are installed.

My attempt fails and generates the following error message:-

----------------
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8# make xconfig
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
 HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
 SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.h
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
sed < scripts/kconfig/lkc_proto.h > scripts/kconfig/lkc_defs.h
's/P(\([^,]*\),.*/#define \1
(\*\1_p)/'
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kconfig_load.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
/usr/share/qt3/bin/moc -i scripts/kconfig/qconf.h -o
scripts/kconfig/qconf.moc
 HOSTCXX scripts/kconfig/qconf.o
/bin/sh: g++: command not found
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf.o] Error 127
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

g++-3.2 is installed (but, I can't access the man pages). What am I
missing?

Oh! I compile 'the debian way' with kernel package, and the kernel-source
I'm trying to use was installed with my last upgrade of Unstable.

Finally, 'make menuconfig' works without any apparent problem.

Thanks,               John.