[Gllug] Oracle on Linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Sep 16 20:29:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 08:56:16PM +0100, Ian Northeast wrote:
> To be fair the RDBMS itself isn't so bad. Memory is pretty cheap now
> after all. Once you get it installed correctly that is, the new(ish)
> Java installer is atrocious. The old curses one was far better. So what
> if it only worked on *nix? Who would want to run Oracle on Windows?[1]
> You also need a competent DBA (unless you are one). It's an even bigger
> pig if the database design is wrong.

Yes, the installer sucks so badly.  I haven't heard anyone have a good
word for it, and after using it myself at my last job, I can see what
they mean.

Seriously though, why would someone want to use Oracle instead of
PostgreSQL?  Perhaps there's some mad people who _want_ a really
horrible user interface (sqlplus anyone?) and love to have arbitrary
limits on how longs strings can be (VARCHAR(4000) ...).  Not me
though.  Give me a decent, lightweight, fast PostgreSQL install every
time.

> the machine up. Then you can log on and disable it. It worked:) I've not
> had anything like this with Oracle on Linux or any *nix. It's a bit too
> easy to destroy NT. Or not perhaps, depending on your POV wrt whether NT
> is better destroyed or not:)

If it's any consolation, Informix on both NT and Linux is much much
worse even than Oracle.

Rich.

'There is a joke about American engineers and French engineers. The
American team brings a prototype to the French team. The French team's
response is: "Well, it works fine in practice; but how will it hold up
in theory?"'