[Gllug] IPComp

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 02:38:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 22:40, Russell Howe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:33:36PM +0100, Ian Norton wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > Has anyone used this? is it easy to get running? or does it require lots
> > of patching or messing about (especially if you dont want IPSec)
>
> I wasn't even aware of its use outside of IPsec...

This is what I'm trying to establish,

IPComp is defined in RFC 2393, it is IP Payload Compression (which
unfortunatly I recently noticed is remarkably similar to my degree
project)

I am toying with the idea of implementing an IPComp driver for linux
(instead of my thing which now basically has turned out to be the same
idea as IPComp).

My design thus far (for the configuration) should be pretty easily
setup, (insmod then write to some things for setup in /proc/sys/net, and
read stats from /proc/net/...)

The original idea was just to compress TCP data (the IP Payload), IPComp
does this, but from what I can tell, it's usage causes some problems
when compiled into the kernel along side ipsec (OpenS/WAN).

Ian