[Gllug] Re:wiping a partition

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 15:33:50 UTC 2004

Thu, 02 Sep 2004, Tethys <tet at createservices.com> wrote:

>>Just one point, however. Tethys, is 'unusable' a typo for 'usable' ( in
>>the sense of 'available'.

>It will make them unusable in the sense that they won't be visible as
>an ext3 filesystem so they will be available for the installer to use.

OK, I follow you - still being a novice I looked at it differently
but saw the same as you say.

>BTW, is this a general fault with Debian? If so, it seems odd that such
>a nasty bug hasn't been fixed yet. Every other installer I've seen has
>had the ability to force overwriting of data on a partition for over 10
>years...

No, I have no problem with Debian. It's new installer is, to my
amateur mind, a silky smooth job. What I wanted to do was install
a couple of the many new distros which appear almost weekly merely
to have a look at them. When reading the literature one said 'ensure
you have either free space or an unused partition of sufficient size'.
I have 13 partitions on /dev/hda and use the last six to try out new
stuff - then it occured to me that I've no idea how to 'clear' a
partition, hence my query.

Thanks for your help.

John.