[Gllug] HIGHMEM

tom tom.robinson at constantstream.com
Tue Sep 14 18:40:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 14:04, Ian Norton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 13:17, Luke Hopkins wrote:
> > Hi All, slight issue with Slackware 10.
> > I'm running a fairly intensive database app on a Dell 1750 with 2Gb of
> > Ram. My problem is that Slackware 10 will only see ~1Gb of the Ram.
> >
> > 'dmesg' informs me:
> > Warning only 896MB will be used.
> > Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
> > 896MB LOWMEM available.
> >
> > A little later it reports:
> > Memory: 904016k/917504k available (2097l kernel code, 13104k reserved,
> > 699k data,124k init, 0k highmem)
> >
> > The above are the meesages I receive after recompiling the kernel with <
> > 4Gb HIGMEM support, and I/O Highmem support.
> >
> > So, it looks as though recompiling the kernel with the support has made
> > no difference. Any thoughts why this would be?
> > I have no swap partition (wanted to do some benchmarking with physical
> > memory only). Does HIGHMEM require swap space to use as addressing?
>
> Have you made sure you had a clean build? (make clean)
> you can get some wierd stuff when building with mixed configs.

I'm not sure about Slackware but compiling kernel source on Red Hat you
can start completely from scratch by 'make mrproper'. This will clean
out everything (including your .config file). You will have to do a
'make config' or 'make oldconfig' followed by 'make dep' etc...

t.

--
Thomas Robinson - IT Director Constant Stream

   Integration, Support, Development and Training
   Linux, Oracle, Windows, Networking

   (Daedalus Compass Pty Ltd)            Cell: +44 (0)7879 428 968
   132 Clifden Court, Clifden Road       Work: +44 (0)20 8891 6262
   Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1 4LR        Fax:  +44 (0)20 8891 6363
   United Kingdom

   CONFIDENTIALITY: Copyright (C). This message with any appended or
   attached material is intended for addressees only and may not be
   copied or forwarded to or used by other parties without permission.