[Gllug] It doesn't fit - cock-up on the motherboard format vector

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sat Apr 9 13:22:31 UTC 2005

John Winters wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a better-than-average case and PSU?  Quality of
> build, quietness, good appearance and ease of assembly are more
> important than price.

I really like Lian-Li myself (I bought one from Mike Brodbelt a couple
of years ago and it's still going strong - thanks Mike!), but they
aren't cheap, or necessarily suitable:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li_Cases.html

As for PSUs, any with a decent power rating will be OK I think.
Compared to the amazingly poor PSUs you get in normal systems anything
you buy individually is going to be loads better.

Overclockers there have a good range of most cases and PSUs incidentally.

> I have a number of IDE HDDs sitting about which I could use, but is it
> worth going to Serial-ATA since the board can handle four of these?  Are
> they significantly faster?  Again, quiet is good.

definitely faster than PATA if you use a shiny new kernel.  Be prepared
for some 'fun' if you want to boot off them though.

> BTW, what's the difference between socket 754 and socket 939?  Athlon
> 64s seem to come in both types.  Why?

Socket 939 are the new 90nm chips.  They aren't making any more 754.
For a new system, get socket 939.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
6973E2CF: 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
http://adju.st/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk