[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Apr 7 11:01:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:43 +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 11:38 AM, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:16 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >    I would consider that searching for security and other package updates,
> > > then deciding what I wish to install, then listing each manually to instruct
> > > apt-get and apt-install, to be much more like hard work.
> >
> > But why would anyone do that?  A simple:
> >
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get upgrade
> >
> > is all that is needed.
>
> Isn't the  point that you might not want to upgrade *everything*, and
> rather search for and upgrade a limited subset of packages?

True - I'd missed the "and other" part of Chris's paragraph.  I was
thinking of purely security updates.  I've never felt the urge to pick
and choose with security updates.

So yes, if you're tracking Sid and want to pick and choose what you get
then you probably want something more sophisticated than apt-get to do
the job.  Perhaps aptitude would serve?

This is however quite orthogonal to my original point, which is that
dselect is very hard to learn to drive, for the reasons I stated in my
previous-but-one post (and quite probably a lot of others).

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk