[Gllug] Re: RAID on laptop or xfs?

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 11:59:33 UTC 2005

Hi

Well the really high end controllers I mentioned earlier with the
battery backup are most probably only available in SCSI. I' ve worked
in buildings with dedicated clean power sources which are not
depedendent on the national grid, with the servers locked away in the
server room. It still seems to come down to ensuring a stable
environment in which to house the computers.

Although the subject of the thread seems to through most of the
solutions out the window, it is after all a laptop, which precludes
things like UPSs and probably SCSI - are laptops still available with
SCSI? Of course if it's a laptop it's not that critical and running a
journaled FS is better than running a non journaled FS. With the
chance of a messed up FS that can' t be fscked to fix. being rather
small, it seems pointless to worry about it too much. Rather just back
up (and test your backups) an dbe done with it.

Btw I apologise for not catching the beginning of this thread and
still jumping in, all rather confusing really.<g>

cheers
Liam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk