[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 6 22:13:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:15:52PM +0100, John wrote:
> As a new user of Debian, I never managed to work out how to drive
> dselect.  I just tried it again now and I still can't fathom it.  Its UI
> is arcane in the extreme.  Far, far easier to use apt-get and friends
> than solve dselect.

One of the drawbacks of apt-get, compared to dselect, is that running
plain 'apt-get update' doesn't automatically update the available
packages list that dpkg consults when you run 'dpkg -p <package>' or
'dpkg -l <pattern>'.  You can do this yourself by running something like

	apt-cache dumpavail > /tmp/available
	dpkg --update-avail /tmp/available

It would be nice if there were a way to set this behaviour to be
automatic in apt.conf, but I haven't seen an obvious method of doing
this.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.