[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Thu Apr 28 16:15:52 UTC 2005

Pete Ryland wrote:
> Everyone seems to write in their own subset of the language and to be
> able to read another's code one must basically grok the *whole*
> syntax, which is embarassingly huge in Perl compared to the
> simplicity of, say, python's syntax

Is this a roundabout way of saying Python is more understandable because
it's more verbose? So why not write in C?

> Anyway, I guess my whole point is that I think reducing syntax aids
> readability, but the antithesis, to which Perl subscribes, may lead
> to many ways to do the same thing, but IMO hinders readability and
> maintainability.

Do you read a red-top or black-top daily newspaper? The only reason I
ask is that the former might be accused of using a *ahem* less wide
vocabulary in  order to be ostensibly accessible to a wider audience,
but that the result is less representative of the underlying facts, and
potentially less elegant.

Putting my bigot's hat on, I personally see object-oriented languages to
be the poor man's equivalent to a proper hairy procedural programming
language for those who don't understand how computers actually _work_,
and have to make often bizarre and obtuse abstractions in order to
implement something to run on a sequential digital machine. The
proliferation of Java, C++, C# et al is surely a result of the dearth of
real programmers as a result of the explosion in computer use and
application over the last couple of decades. Or something ;)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk