[Gllug] Still interpreting output from "sensors"

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:47:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:25:39AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 04:14:08PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> [snip description of CPU temp rising from 31 to 39 in 1 second]
> >>

> The BIOS screen shows a CPU temp of 39 degrees C.  I'm assuming this is
> higher than the Linux idle temperature of 31 because the BIOS doesn't have
> an intelligent idle loop.  The lm-sensors documentation describes exactly
> this phenomenon.
>
> Is anyone else using lm-sensors on an Athlon system?  Do you get the same
> rapid temperature climb?  I recall seeing descriptions of how Athlons
> would self-destruct in a fraction of a second if not properly cooled.
> Perhaps the thermal characteristics *are* different.

The Opterons and AMD64s now have an on chip thermal diode and should
shutdown fast enough with a cooling failure.
Early AMD chips had no thermal protection. Later ones used to rely on a diode
on the motherboard positioned under the cpu socket. This was not very
reliable :-).

> OTOH, if it's not the CPU, what might genuinely increase in temperature
> that quickly?
>
> John
>
> --

    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk