[Gllug] re: OSS CMSs

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Thu Apr 28 15:53:08 UTC 2005

Aaron,

Are you for or against TMTOWTDI?  It is often touted as one of Perl's
biggest strengths.  Indeed, you say "Python lacks the expressiveness ... and
it suffers from OnlyOneWayToDoIt"

However, I think it's one of Perl's weaknesses and what makes one person's
code hard to understand for someone else.  Everyone seems to write in their
own subset of the language and to be able to read another's code one must
basically grok the *whole* syntax, which is embarassingly huge in Perl
compared to the simplicity of, say, python's syntax; much as I've always
hated (and somehow also come to like) the whitespace thing.  You seem to
agree with me there too, when you say, "if you try and use the wrong idiom
or syntax for a job it will show."  BTW, I also think this ia a weakness of
C++.

Also, FYI, python's standard libraries do indeed cover email, db and other
such things.

Anyway, I guess my whole point is that I think reducing syntax aids
readability, but the antithesis, to which Perl subscribes, may lead to many
ways to do the same thing, but IMO hinders readability and maintainability.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk