[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Apr 28 08:05:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 05:54:15PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> This complements my view of PHP exactly. I've had to use it quite a bit
> over the last three years and was quite looking forward to v5, after the
> promise of proper OOP support. I've since discovered that one can
> quickly go off a language!

The decision not to add namespaces to the language, after trying them
out, was unbelievably shortsighted, IMO.  Without it, PHP really doesn't
scale up to serious projects, especially distributed, open source ones.
Take a look at the SquirrelMail internals if you want to see what can
happen when you try to build a flexible plug-in architecture using a
language that has no namespaces (and if you try to  fake it with objects
you suffer because OO in PHP4 is dog slow - maybe this is better in
PHP5).  A mess.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.