[Gllug] Securing XP

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Apr 11 09:56:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 08:38:44AM +0100, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> I believe that by default all shares with a $ appended to the name
> become invisible as far as browsing is concerned - it should only be
> full administrators that can access the share.

The $ has nothing to do with access rights.

If a share has a $ appended to its name, then it should not be visible
when a user enumerates shares on a server.

The user may have access, (s)he just doesn't see it in the list.

Hiding shares to prevent access to them is a fallacy, and a classic
example of security by obscurity not working seen a lot in places such
as schools and the like, where someone who calls themselves an
administrator thinks that adding a $ to the share name will stop kids
messing with it.

I can't seem to find it now, but I'm sure there is a console command you
can run which will list shares, including those which are hidden.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk