[Gllug] Posting delays

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 09:43:20 UTC 2005

Hi All,

The reason why some postings are delayed, is all down to me being lazy.

If you send a message to the list AND it comes from another address to the one
you subscribe, the mail is thrown to the admin to approve or reject.
If it appears to contain an advert or any of the usual spam words this also
happens.
This stops the majority of spam from getting through (probably about five a
day of the usual "buy xyz tablets" or "cheap watches").

If we let a message through that does contain one of the usual spam or swear
words, you should also be aware that quite a lot of readers of the list will
still not get it. This is because their own mail gateways will filter it out
and we then get the bounces back.

The other mailing list admins are all a little busy and so it is usually down
to me whenever I remember to clear out the box.

If anyone wants to join the admin of the lists, just let us know at
gllugadmin at gllug.org.uk

OK trying to get back on topic:-

Obviously, I have managed to offend some Voodoo God this week and I seem to
have more that the usual number of friends and customers complaining about
dead hard disks. This is where the BIOS refuses to see the drive.

As this happened to me for one drive and I had to resort to backups on DVDs, I
am trying to be proactive. Is there anyway to extract information from a dead
hard disk?

For the one person who phoned me and explained that he had opened his drive
and some wires and things had fallen out, I understand this might be just a
little too late and I had to tell him to try one of the professional data
recovery services.

But generally, how does hard disk recovery work in a professional environment?
Are there any Linux tools that can be used to force information out of a
drive?

John S

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk