[Gllug] Re: Transferring large files at specified times

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 11:46:00 UTC 2005

will wrote:
> Jon Dye wrote:
>
>>> rsync, it will allow you to resume partially transferred files.
>>

>> So does wget as long as his webserver supports resume (which it does),
>> in which case is there any advantage to using rsync over wget/http with
>> a small number of unchanging gzipped ISOs?
>

> rsync sounds cooler :)

That's what my friend said!  rsync is pretty cool and I use it lots for
keeping directories in sync or transferring whole directory trees, I've
even convinced my Window's collegues to use the cygwin version of rsync
and now it's part of some of the maintenance scripts in our products.
It was a tremendous speed up when trying to roll out a new build of our
software (~2GB) to multiple (30+) Windows machines simultaneously.

JD

make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other
way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiancies"
		- C. A. R. Hoare