[Gllug] Re: RAID on laptop or xfs?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sat Apr 2 12:42:00 UTC 2005

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>that in the length of time taken to restore the backups they would lose
>so much money they;d go out of business, so there was no point.

When I was DCM for Yahoo/LHC it was decided that backing up the search
indexes in London was pointless.  It was far quicker to recreate them,
plus any backup would most likely be too stale.  Fast.no (half of which
was bought out by Yahoo) produced some great corporate t-shirts one of
which had printed on the back "Search is like sushi: fresh is best".

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk