[Gllug] Cyrus-imap on Ubuntu

neil chambers neil at cozyspace.net
Wed Apr 20 11:07:26 UTC 2005

Simon says:

>I have been struggling to get Cyrus IMAP server running on my Ubuntu machine. I have read the Cyrus IMAP howto and that has not really helped. Can anyone point me in the direction of an Ubuntu/Debian centric howto/document or give me some pointers on how to set it up ?
>
>I am running Ubuntu Hoary, I upgraded in the hope that it would make things easier and it would work better. I am happy that I upgraded but it didn't quite make things easier  :-)

I've recently gone through a cyrus-imap install and a courier-imap
install - both using Postfix as the MTA; the former being trickier,
IMHO, than the later.

There are quite a few howto's out there. google for "Debian cyrus-imap
howto" to get something a little more ubuntu friendly or just drop the
distro name for more hits. I ended up cross referencing several howtos,
and more man pages than I care to remember and still had to be a little
bit creative. "your millage may vary" is a term I came across - it was
very appropriate for the entire project.

My tips are: understand exactly what you want to achieve; take very
small steps and keep a track of what you are doing; keep things very
simple to start off with - focus on the very basics; test every step;
try to understand what is happening at each stage of the system
evolution; make incremental config changes; make backups of your configs
at every change; when you introduce a change that stops things working
simply roll-back the configs and try again.

good luck,
neil.