[Gllug] Re: Gllug Digest, Vol 22, Issue 50

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 17:03:39 UTC 2005

> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> wrote:-
>
> On Thursday 21 Apr 2005 17:53 pm, john gennard wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>So my first
>>query, how was I able to get the audio play -back?.
>
> Some software cd players will read the cd as data and decode the audio
> themselves for playback. In that instance, you don't need the audio
> connection. Simpler players just tell the drive to "play" "stop" etc
> and the drive does the audio and passes it to the sound card through
> the audio connection.

Thanks, that explains the first query.

> <SNIP>
>
>>Both these CD Drives are on the second IDE channel, so I
>>can't believe a Mobo or cable problem accounts for the
>>difficulties.
>
> I'd try the new one as the master device alone on the IDE channel, and
> also try a different cable. The connections between the ribbon and the
> plug can be flaky, and one device can malfunction while the other works
> fine.

Right, I think I'll change the IDE cable on the second channel as the
drive doesn't work as master.

> Also, make sure you try various cds as some of those new "security
> protected" ones will work fine in one drive but not another, or even
> intermittently in the same drive.

I'd done that for both audio and data, and reinstalled drivers etc.
Now another problen has manifested itself. The CD which plays audio
CDs as you explained above still does so, but the drive sounds as
though it's spinning at a tremendous rate - never did before

I'm grateful for your response.			John.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk