[Gllug] tips for newbie resources

NorthLondon John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 14 10:05:48 UTC 2005

On 13 Apr 2005, at 23:05, SteveC wrote:

> So my brother has turned to the Penguin. Apparently Blender (the 3d
> thing) runs some number of times more quickly on that than Windows 98.
> So his machine is running 98 and knoppix dual boot for some reason, and
> its a fairly new machine despite running 98.
>
> He's at the other end of the country to us so I can't pop round to
> help.
>
> In my day, there were 4000 page 'Red Hat 5.2 Explained' type books. But
> that being so long ago I have no idea where to point him book or online
> resource wise.
>
> Any ideas?

There are still those vast tomes - Complete n, n unleashed etc. I think
they're all distro-specific, and there isn't one for Debian Sid, on
which Knoppix is based.

There's Knoppix Hacks (OReilly), though if he's done a hard disk
install, much of it may not be of any use.
I like the hacks format, so perhaps Linux Desktop Hacks, due at the end
of the month, again from OReilly, might be useful.

Online, the knoppix.net is the best resource: forums, docs etc, it's
all there.

HTH

John

www.ubuntulinux.org