[gllug] Machine Cloning

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:06:52 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Wondering what approaches folk recommend...

My task is to 'clone' an app server.  Of course, the new app server
must have a unique licence for weblogic, and unique system
identification.

One option was simply to make a literal copy of the machine, and then
change the necessary to make the other machine unique.

The current plan is to build the machine to the same basic spec, and
then restore from tape those bits which differ, and regenerate the
weblogic licence by hand.

Those who have done similar tasks - any recommendations?

At present I am wondering the best way to move the correct stuff from
/etc on the source to the target without blowing away the files I want
to keep in /etc on the new machine.

Interested to hear what you reckon.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk