[Gllug] Scriptable Flowchart / Diagram Applications

Mike Leigh mike.leigh at hornbill.com
Fri Apr 22 12:32:24 UTC 2005

Richard said:
> The daddy for this sort of task seem to be the dot format.
> dot seems to be as old as the hills, and the format is a
> piece of cake. There are a million and one tools available
> for layout, translation, you name it. The modern version may be SVG.
>
> My use for this was to crawl/spider across a network of
> proprietary message routing deamons to try to get a visual
> representation. In my case it was still-born because it was
> easier to understand in a table format.
Can I ask what tools you used.  I have had a quick look at Dia and it seems
that the Python scripting is still being developed. What I would like is a
little nudge in the 'right' direction to start researching.

I will be able to produce something like the following and I am looking for
a tool to interpret it. Below is a samle output that I would want to convert
to a file suitable for generating a diagram from
+---+-----------+----------+-------------------+
|id | action_id | type     | description       |
+---+-----------+----------+-------------------+
| 1 | 2         | start    | workflow start    |
| 2 | 3,4       | decision | do you use linux? |
| 3 | 5         | text     | yes               |
| 4 | 6         | text     | no                |
| 5 | 7         | text     | excellent         |
| 6 | 7         | text     | you really should |
| 7 |           | end      | end               |

This sample is not quite what I produce but is just to illustrate my point.

Anyone done anything similar in the past ?

Thanks

Mike
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk