[Gllug] mini Linux?

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Apr 7 23:30:55 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:49:30PM +0100, Caparo wrote:
> On Thursday 07 April 2005 1:27, Dave Cross wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:11:06PM -0000, sunil gupta wrote:
> > > I am talking here about a Dolphin Mini:-
> > >
> > > http://www.positive-internet.com/dolphin/
> > >
> > > which seem to not be Intel chips inside. Does this run Linux OK do
> > > you think?
> >
> > Well, it seems to come with Debian Linux installed. Which would seem
> > to imply that it runs Linux without too many problems :)
> >

> Hi,
>  The nice thing is if you use the Positive Internet guy's services you can get
> feedback on this list as most of their staff hang out here:}

Ive been up to see the guys at positive recently, they are really good folks
and certianly know thier stuff,

you cant go wrong there for hosting important stuff.

First though, you might want to fiddle for a while with a server at home so you can get
yourself aquainted with the do's and dont's of remote admin, ie, stuff like
using screen and fixing your system without having to wake up some poor sole
when you forget to lilo before a reboot.

I learned invaluble lessons from running a headless box in my house, now my
several (virtual and real) servers elsewhere run quite happily, I save my
experiments for somwhere i can actually 'see' the syslog without needing to ssh
to a console server 100s of miles away :-).

Dont forget to shop about for server hosting, positive are good, as are ukfsn
and plenty of others.

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk