[Gllug] Debian Matching Machines

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 20 10:29:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 09:15:46AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Nix writes:
>
> >I have it on good authority (he said his name was `Ian') that the
> >dselect UI is intuitive and simple. (As long as your first name starts
> >with the letter `I' and is three letters long, and your surname starts
> >with `J' and ends in `n', at least.)
>
> Well I pass on the three letters part, but you seem to have misspelled
> by name. I too find dselect to be an easy tool to use. It's one of the
> things I really liked about Debian.

I've been using Debian for a long time but the best I can say is that
I'm used to dselect.  I think the level of unfriendliness that a person
perceives in it may have a lot to do with how much they already know
about the Debian package selection and architecture.  The more extensive
your knowledge in this area (and the better your memory and mental
visualisation skils etc), the less you notice the fact that dselect is
crap at presenting the package list in useful, easily-navigable and
flexible heirarchies.

Aptitude is much better in that one respect.  The let down is that it is
worse at almost everything else.

--
Bruce

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.