[Gllug] OSS CMSs

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Apr 28 14:56:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:33:37AM +0100, Doug Winter wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
> >I'm still puzzled by the lack of any genuine Python equivalent to CPAN.
> >Making everything a core module isn't a sane substitute.
>
> There isn't one, because it's not needed IMO - most programs don't need
> additional libraries, and if you do then really your OS should provide
> the distribution mechanism.

I don't understand this.  I'm assuming that you don't mean that
programming languages should have every possible and foreseeable
technology built in as primitives.

Of course, libraries are not the only possible way to extend
languages.  Advanced languages support macros, ie.  changing and
extending the language itself to support new idioms.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk