[Gllug] Transferring large files at specified times

Richard Cohen vmlinuz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 10:45:24 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 11:36 AM, John Hearns
<john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:34 +0100, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > Put it on a USB stick. Pop it in the post.
> Would be a big USB key... Need coffee.

Assuming you have the facilities (i.e. DVD burner) posting a DVD is a
rather efficient way of transferring data.  Quick back-of-an-envelope
sums show that if you post it at 5pm and it gets delivered at noon the
next day - which should happen if you use a first class stamp, even
with the current state of the Royal Mail - and it's a single full DVD,
you're looking at a sustained data transfer of almost 70 kilobytes per
second.  That's significantly faster than my home ADSL upstream, and
obviously adding another disk or two would make it even more
efficient, assuming you have that much data to send.

In fact, looking at the original post, the data is in the form of DVD
images... so yes, burn 'em and post 'em :-)

I've posted a DVD to Israel - far less efficient, of course, since it
took about a week to arrive, but still pretty cheap, and far easier
than leaving an upload running for days.

Cheers
Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk