[Gllug] Upgrading a PC in situ

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Apr 7 15:22:01 UTC 2005

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

[snip]

> I am proposing simply to open up, remove peripherals, remove m/b,
> install new m/b, re-connect and close the box.  Is there anything else
> I'm likely to need to do?  Additional case fans perhaps?  The box is
> fairly empty with just a single HDD and an oldish video card (not
> powerful enough to need a fan).

Take a backup.

Seriously.

Even if you've done this kind of thing a lot, it's still possible to f'
something vital, and data recovery is still more expensive than a backup

:->

Oh, and remember to earth yourself before starting. Simplest method -
touch the water pipes / radiator pipes.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml