[Gllug] lmtp on Postfix

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Apr 14 14:49:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:59:10PM +0100, Andy wrote:
> I been searching thru the web and haven't been able yet to find much
> info on lmtp except that it seems to be a replacement for smtp.

It isn't a replacement, it's an alternative for scenarios where smtp is
not needed.  It is a local delivery protocol, designed for transferring
messages from the endpoint mta to a local message store.  Using the lmtp
protocol means that the mta (Postfix, in your case) doesn't need to know
anything about the internal structure of the message store.  It also
gives you another option for having the message store on a separate box,
since you can run lmtp over tcp.

In your case, you are trying to deliver to cyrus on the local box, so
Postfix has to talk to it through a unix domain socket.

> Can anyone help me out here on what postfix is trying to do, what I
> haven't configured correctly to get Postfix to use lmtp or canPostfix be
> set up not to use lmtp just smtp?

Cyrus doesn't talk smtp and postfix doesn't understand the Cyrus message
store, so lmtp is really what you need.

> Apr 14 09:16:36 foo deliver[8481]: connect(/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp)
> failed: No such file or directory

Postfix expects there to be a socket /var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp, over
which it will talk to Cyrus using the lmtp protocol.  There is no such
socket.  Your problem isn't your Postfix configuration, it's your Cyrus
configuration.  For whatever reason, it is not running its lmtp daemon
(or it is misconfigured).

That's as much help as I can give you.  It's been several years since I
used Cyrus.  Don't use Postfix much, for that matter.

--
Bruce

I object to intellect without discipline.  I object to power without
constructive purpose. -- Spock