[Gllug] Securing XP

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Apr 11 11:09:52 UTC 2005

<engage win32 mode>

In Start | Control Panel | Admin Tools | Computer Management you will see
inside Computer Management | System Tools | Shared Folders | Shares a list
of all the shares on the machine. For some reason, that I can't remember,
Windows needs c$ and so on to be shared for it to work. Right click on c$
and select Properties. It might whinge that the share is there for
administrative purposes. The normal setting will only allow a local or
domain administrator to access to that share and not allow you to fiddle
with it. You may see a Share Permissions tab in the windows that appears. In
there you can modify or set up ACL style access permissions. If you see that
for c$ or any other share that is mapped to C:\ or anywhere else check who
has what access rights to what. Be especially careful of the "Everyone"
group. "Everyone" set to "Full Control" is the equivalent of **7 access
permission in *nix.

</ engage win32 mode>

Hope that helps

Ken